Tuesday, October 26, 2010

PDP #302: Transit to History

This past weekend, in those precious gaps between rainstorms that I understand will make all the difference in a Lower Mainland autumn and winter, I wandered down to Granville Island by land. I found something I hadn't expected there, or more appropriately, something I hadn't thought about - the Vancouver Downtown Historic Railway, out of action during my visit back in June but once again rolling between Granville Island and Olympic Village Station on the Canada Line. From what I understand, this coming weekend is the last it'll run before next May, weather permitting. On Sunday they were running #1207, a one hundred and five-year old interurban car late of the British Columbia Electric Railway.

Presumably, if hizzoner Rob Ford gets his way, Toronto's streetcar system will look much like this in the not-too-distant future. What I regret is that I won't be there to fight once more the fight that should have been won for good thirty-eight years ago.

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide. In case this is not legally possible, I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

No comments:

Post a Comment