Saturday, October 17, 2009

PDP #117: The Swamp

When I was young, the Swamp was what nature was. Back then, before Barrie's city planners had suburbanized the city to the grim extent of today, it was practically on the edge of town, beyond which there were only farmer's fields and developer's dreams waiting to be realized. I remember trekking into the bush there, in winter and summer, and how after only a few steps it was as if I was in a primeval wilderness a thousand miles from home.

Today, it seems, the Swamp is under siege. Housing developments are pressing against it form the south, and the recent extension of Ferndale Drive South, from which this photo was taken, has cut it in two. I've never learned its name, never even learned if it had one - it never needed one before. It was just the Swamp. But you see, things without names rarely have power.

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide. In case this is not legally possible, I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

No comments:

Post a Comment