Monday, March 21, 2011

Photo: Brooklyn, British Columbia

Vancouver is the core of Hollywood North, but New Westminster plays host to the entertainment industry every once in a while itself. I stumbled into one of their setups, entirely by accident, this weekend while I was on my way to the grocery store. If you've never been to New West, Front Street is kind of an odd street - it's very easy to get into the "out of sight, out of mind" issue, as it's not only downhill from Columbia Street, it's also underneath the Downtown Parkade. It's called Antique Alley, and it's dominated by antique, surplus, and furniture stores.

Except this weekend. At first I didn't notice anything off at all with the stores that all had bilingual English and Hebrew (or perhaps it's actually Yiddish) signage. Nor did anything seem odd about the sudden profusion of tailor shops and kosher bakeries; it had been a little while since I'd last been down to Front Street, and I was pleased that empty storefronts were filling up. It wasn't until I saw a sign for the New York Lottery in a "new convenience store" that I really realized.

So, this weekend, Front Street was turned into a slice of Brooklyn - Borough Park, to be specific, thanks to the subway sign they installed on the stairs up to the parkade. Filming happened yesterday, and I have no pictures of the set fully developed because there were plenty of dudes around with radios who I'm sure would have been rather cross had I just started going around with my camera.

I don't know what movie it is, though. If anyone does, I'd be interested in hearing.


I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it under the Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.

This means that you are free to Share (to copy, distribute and transmit the work) and to Remix (to adapt the work) under the following conditions: Attribution (you must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor, but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work), Noncommercial (you may not use this work for commercial purposes), and Share Alike (if you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one).

No comments:

Post a Comment