Sunday, August 2, 2009

PDP #79: The Caribana Overcrowd

This weekend, Toronto is flush from the end (finally!) of the city workers' strike - fortunately, Caribana's here for everyone to party down. Caribana is a Caribbean festival that's been held in the city for more than forty years now, and along with the Canadian National Exhibition it's one of the big tourist draws. People come from all over to take part in it, and since parking in that area is more precious than lanthanum to a jump-drive engineer, a lot of them take the TTC.

Soon after I'd moved to Parkdale, it did not take me long to learn to avoid the 29 Dufferin bus on Caribana weekend. I took this photo of one while biking home yesterday, wheezing past Dundas Street West through the symphony of car horns.

In the kilometer between Dundas and Queen, I passed by six more buses crammed just as tightly as this one. The air conditioning on those buses isn't particularly noticeable at the best of times. Those must be some seriously dedicated passengers. Personally, I'd have just walked - it'd be faster.

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide. In case this is not legally possible, I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

No comments:

Post a Comment