Wednesday, September 9, 2009

PDP #98: The Flower of Etobicoke

Prior to amalgamation in 1998, the municipalities of Metropolitan Toronto all had their logos. Toronto's was the same as it is now, a stylized rendering of City Hall, Scarborough used the Scarborough Bluffs, and Etobicoke had - some kind of flower, I think. Its flag was characterized by an alder leaf, though I'm not sure if that's what this is supposed to be.

I found this artificial flower, and many others like it, in Etobicoke's Mimico Village, at Royal York Road and Evans Avenue. This one is painted with the mascots of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics - not what I expected to find, but interesting anyway. In this city, an art installation is its own reward.

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide. In case this is not legally possible, I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

No comments:

Post a Comment