Tuesday, April 14, 2009

PDP #27: Buses Don't Blink

The best part of living in Barrie was, for me, being one of those fortunate few who lived adjacent to a Barrie Transit bus route - in this case the 34 Ardagh route, but it didn't have the number then, and the route has been changed since. From Grade 10 onward I used the city bus to get to school and back and felt far better about it than had I taken the school bus with everyone else.

Still, public transit in Barrie is a shadow compared to Toronto, even taking into account the differing sizes of the two cities. Barrie is a sprawling, rambling place of suburban cul-de-sacs, poorly served by buses that come no more frequently than every thirty minutes and which wind in weird ways through the asphalt labyrinths the planners laid down. What's left unsaid is that you're in Barrie - why aren't you driving a car?

I wasn't driving when I took this photo - I don't drive. Nevertheless, it's difficult to get a head-on shot of a bus in operation in any other way.


I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide. In case this is not legally possible, I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

1 comment:

  1. Whitby is just as bad as Barrie. The same attitude towards cars is eveident here. Sure it's fine if you're own enough to own a car. For kids though, well, suburbs like that just suck. There is nothing to do and nowhere to go within a reasonable walking distance. Even most of my friends lived a good hours' walk away.

    ReplyDelete