Wednesday, July 15, 2009

PDP #70: The Lone and Level Rail

Streetcar ghosts are in evidence all around Toronto, some more obviously than others. The old Rogers Road route, which I wrote about recently, has been all but annihilated from the cityscape. On a recent bicycle expedition to Harbourfront, I stumbled across some rails embedded in the street that I can't tie to any route I know of.

This photo is looking west along Queens Quay, and you can see a couple of streetcars in the distance, where they descend into the tunnel that connects to Union Station. The exposed track looks like it could be a piece of streetcar rail to me; it continues behind my perspective in this shot, to end abruptly in the center of the Yonge Street-Queens Quay intersection. As far as I know, not even the Yonge streetcar - abandoned in 1954 - came down here.

Tesseract thinks it's a relic of some old harbor freight line. Me... I don't know. It is a mystery!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide. In case this is not legally possible, I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

No comments:

Post a Comment