Sunday, July 19, 2009

PDP #72: Red Ones Go Faster

This is my bike. It is a good bike, as it is ten years old and still rides well after I inadvertently left it outside for a winter. You may notice that it is red. This is the bicycle that now gets me around Toronto considerably faster than my own two feet, and from which I gathered the photographs for my investigation of the Rogers Road streetcar a couple of weeks ago.

The problem with conceptualizing the future is that things are changing all the time - countries, philosophies, hopes and fears. Too often there's never any solid touchstone to bridge a nigh-unfathomable future with a familiar present. When I think about things like that I take heart, because the basic framework of the modern bicycle has been effectively unchanged for more than a century.

The modern bicycle frame works. And no matter how unfathomable the future becomes, I find it relaxing to know that at the least, bicycles will probably still be recognizeable as bicycles.

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide. In case this is not legally possible, I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

No comments:

Post a Comment