Friday, December 24, 2010

Snowflakes and Needles

"For it was the first snow of the season, and as any child can tell you, there's a certain magic to the very first snow. Especially when it falls on the day before Christmas."

Aside from the thorough but short-lived dumping back at the beginning of the month, New Westminster has yet to see more than a scrap of snowfall. To be honest, from what I understand that's entirely normal for the area - it's just not normal to me. Sure, there have been times when it's rained on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day back in Ontario - most of these days have been within the last ten or so years, but I'm sure that's just a coincidence - but that was always wrong. Coming as I do from a snowfallen land, the end of December practically demands the ground made white.

The only snowy aspect of the season left, so far as I can tell, is my tree. I've had it for a few years now, and chose it specifically because I could conveniently carry it on the Dufferin bus. I don't have many ornaments for it, though - but it's one of the few things around here that's truly familiar, and truly reminiscent of what I remember this time of year to have been.

So have a good time at yours, wherever or whatever it may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment