Tuesday, June 8, 2010

PDP #232: Giant Monumental Crab

I've been in Vancouver for a couple of days now, and one thing I've noticed that really sets it apart from Toronto is its apparent dedication to artistic endeavors: sure, Toronto has its murals and its sculptures too, but in Vancouver they're practically on every block. Yesterday I crossed the Burrard Bridge to Kitsilano and stumbled upon one that may well be the most inspiring of them all. It sits in a pool outside the building in Vanier Park that houses the Museum of Vancouver and H.R. MacMillan Space Centre, and was placed in 1967 to commemorate the people of Vancouver's victory over the Giant Enemy Crabs from outer space - they were, you see, able to attack their weak points for massive damage. Rumors of the involvement of a strange, poofy-haired man with an improbably long scarf are, I'm sure, nothing more than rumors.

I have it on good authority, though I haven't been able to corroborate it yet, that the design of the building itself is inspired by the Crabs' starship.

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide. In case this is not legally possible, I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

1 comment: