Sunday, June 6, 2010

PDP #231: New Planet, Strange Architecture

It's been a few months coming, but I've had the time booked off for a while and yesterday I finally landed on Caprica, heart of the colonies. It cost a few extra cubits for one of the FTL liners - I mean, who has time these days to go from Virgon to Caprica by sublight? - and well worth it. Only hours after lifting from Boskirk Spaceport I was free and clear to indulge that which makes the days worth living: just wandering around, having absolutely no idea where I'm going except for extremely vague impressions I gleaned from the Come On, Caprica guidebook.

Not that Caprica City's a bad place to wander around - it's great. It's like nothing on Virgon, and that's the crux of the problem. I don't know if you've noticed, but Capricans have some weird tastes in architecture - like those towers that look like they're made of nothing but glass and would shatter if you tapped them wrong. But they're positively normal compared to buildings like the one I photographed yesterday. For the life of me, I've got no idea what it's supposed to be. It could be courthouses for all I know, or a library, or a temple. That's the thing you really need to understand about Capricans - on this planet, form and function seem to have absolutely no bearing on each other.

The weather's been pretty good though. I heartily recommend.

EDIT: Seems as if it's a library after all. I tell you, those Capricans...

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies throughout the Twelve Colonies of Kobol. In case this is not legally possible, I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

No comments:

Post a Comment