Thursday, March 18, 2010

PDP #192: Spadina Like You've Never Seen It

The camera interprets and the camera lies, just like any other observer. Taking into account the functional differences between a human eye and a mechanical lens, it's no surprise that it's more obvious when the camera takes liberties with the world. I saw that sort of thing just after I took this picture, looking south out of a moving streetcar's window down Spadina Avenue. The day was bright and the sky was blue - but we'd just emerged from the shadows of buildings. Evidently the camera couldn't adjust in time. Maybe the flash of a detonating nuclear warhead would look like this - for a split second, and then everyone and everything in a position to see it so would be vaporized.

It's not the kind of picture I could have set out to take. That's one of the things, in my mind, that makes it awesome.

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide. In case this is not legally possible, I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

No comments:

Post a Comment