Saturday, October 16, 2010

PDP #297: The Center of the Universe

Having spent my life in the Toronto area, I was always sure that I knew where the center of the universe was - the intersection of Yonge and Dundas, to be precise, and I was well aware those Bostonians and their "Hub of the Universe" thing was just making the best out of a bad situation. What I've come to realize is that what you know isn't necessarily so.

You may never have heard of Wallace, Idaho. It's a small town off Interstate 90 not far from the Montana border, notable for its intact historic downtown - intact because the entire downtown was listed on the National Register of Historic Places to preclude it being demolished to make way for the interstate - and that it was the primary filming location for Dante's Peak. What I didn't realize is that it's also the center of the universe, apparently, according to the signs arranged all around the intersection of Bank and Sixth.

Nicolaus Copernicus could not be reached for comment on this matter, as he has been dead for four hundred and sixty-seven years.

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide. In case this is not legally possible, I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

No comments:

Post a Comment