Monday, November 29, 2010

Photo: Stay Fast, Cables

A few days ago I was asked if Vancouver was famous for its bridges. I didn't have an answer then, but I do now - "no, but it should be." The number of inlet and river crossings here demand a lot of bridges to keep the traffic flowing, and they're something of an architectural grab bag: from the Lions Gate Bridge, a green reflection of its cousin in San Francisco, to my destination yesterday - the Alex Fraser Bridge, something I've frequently seen from a distance but never approached, spanning the south arm of the Fraser River between Annacis Island and North Delta. It's a cable-stayed bridge, with the cables being what's keeping the deck from collapsing into the river - I think this shot gives a good look at them.

Incidentally, it's not totally unique. While watching the latest episode of The Amazing Race, set in Hong Kong, I had to pause and do some fast research - Hong Kong's Kap Shui Mun Bridge, a successor for the title of "world's longest cable-stayed bridge," is also a dead ringer for the Alex Fraser.

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide. In case this is not legally possible, I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

No comments:

Post a Comment